Friday, April 30, 2010

SIMUN

My first SIMUN experience was better than I thought it was going to be. The atmosphere of everyone in their dress up clothes got me in the mood. I would take 100 days of SIMUN over one day of school anytime. It taught me how to use a parliamentary procedure and how to almost politely insult someone. During the second day of SIMUN we were discussing the topic of having America not sell arms to Zimbabwe due to the riots (in our scenario Zimbabwe was having riots). After I spoke I yelled my time to questions and America ask me, “If the riots continue for … let’s say six months. Do you think we should be able to sell them because it would hurt our economy if we didn’t?” I quickly responded “I believe hundreds of human lives are more important than a small dent in your economy.” This was by far my best moment during SIMUN.

During the weeks coming up to SIMUN I read about 13 articles ranging from the topics of Mexico’s drug war to the Zimbabwe election. I wrote 4 papers, all on different topics, and wrote a quick summary of Germanys history- Germany was my country. Over all I felt like I was well prepared and did a good job. I spoke about 7 or 8 times and asked many questions. I liked getting involved with the people who were writing the resolutions. I never wrote my own but I put in good ideas to make a resolution better. There was one time were I spoke regarding the refugees fleeing China, after I was done I yelled my time to questions. As soon as my mouth shut at least 5 hands flew up, one being Chinas and the others Chinas allies. It felt like I was standing up for hours. Question after question they pounded me. I definitely learned from the mistake of not thinking before you say something.

I am already looking forward to next year. I plan on reading just as many if not more articles on each topic and not focus on my countries background as much. One thing I will do next year is find out who my country agrees with, their allies, and who they don’t see eye to eye with. During the time of caucus I wish I would of known who I could ask to back me up and who to king of stay away from. Over all I had a great time and it convinced me to do SIMUN next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment