Thursday, October 22, 2009

Breast Cancer Walk- Bell Isle


When I realized senate would be doing a breast cancer walk in Detroit I pictured myself walking with just a few hundred other people around abandoned buildings and looking over my shoulder every few minutes. I had never been to Bell Isle but with the reputation Detroit has I didn’t expect much.

On October 10th, bright’n early at 7 o’clock, we met at Stevenson to go over what the plan was. With in a half an hour the game plan was set and we were on our way. The drive to Detroit was pretty normal, the abandoned buildings to look at and the occasional hobo, it felt like going to any other tigers games or lions game. Hyped up with energy and proudly wearing the title “Spartans For Rozman” on our backs we were ready.

The first time I realized this wasn’t going to be any ordinary trip to Detroit was when I saw the dozens and dozens of school buses with pink ribbons transporting people to and from Bell Isle. At the bus stop was when we met the first lady who like us was full of energy. Armed with a megaphone she was pumping everyone up and in some cases waking some people up.

When we arrived on Bell Isle it was truly amazing. The atmosphere made it seem like you were in a different planet, not to mention all the pink. We were immediately noticed thanks to our enthusiasm and matching shirts. Next thing I knew we were being interviewed on channel 2, and my mom calling me to tell me (even though it was pretty obvious the camera was right in front of my face).

We stayed at the start for a while and prepared our self for the 5-mile walk a head of us. After a brief bathroom break and more then enough head counts we were on our way. Walking around bell Isle you would of never guess you were in Detroit. The atmosphere was great nd this was made even better with the help of the beautiful scenery.

I would love to say we successfully walked the entire 5-miles, but throughout most of it we caught ourselves speed walking, skipping, jogging, singing, and even at one point running. To some we were probable annoying but to others we represented all the kids who care about the community and are willing to show it. This experience exceeded all expectations and I am planning to go next year.

3 comments:

  1. What a great cause! B-jam-in for prez!

    Mr. Fielder

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha sounds like you had fun Ben, and i know what you mean always looking over your shoulder every few minutes but did you really enjoy doing the breast cancer walk?

    ReplyDelete